Why the Job Spot?
In coordination through the California Adult Education Program, the Bakersfield Adult School coordinated a partnership with Bakersfield College and America’s Job Center to bring education and training programs to our underserved adult population in South Kern. The Job Spot, a one-stop job/education shop was created from this partnership. The Job Spot is staffed by individuals from BAS, BC and America's Job Center of California.
The Job Spot was designed as a multifaceted agency to better serve students who have employment barriers, and other resource barriers.
| Bakersfield Adult School Services
Bakersfield College Services
- GED Preparation Classes - You must take a Reading placement test and score a 236 in order to take the GED prep class. Otherwise you can be enrolled into Basic Skills class until your score permits you to move up to GED. We re-test Basic skills students every five weeks for students to score the 236
- Online Independent study - Independent Study is an educational program that provides the opportunity for adult students 19 and older, to complete Kern High School District's diploma requirements. Students come in to our facility to take their exams. Independent study enrollees must be 19 years of age or older and pass the CASAS assessment test that is administered prior to enrollment.
- ESL Classes -The Job Spot offers a variety of ESL classes to assist in meeting the needs of students at various skill levels of English language proficiency. We offer courses for students from the pre-literate or non-reading or writing level (Level 0) to the advanced levels (Levels 5 and 6).
- Citizenship - We assist students in acquiring English Language skills as well as the knowledge and understanding of the principles and form of government, the Constitution, the history, the culture, the institutions and the geography of the United States. Students will learn interviewing skills in preparation for the INS oral interview.
- Multi-level English Classes - One of the greatest barriers to achieving career or educational goals is insufficient English language fluency; therefore, the support team offers beginner and intermediate conversational English classes weekly in South Kern.
- GED/HSE (HiSet) Tutoring - Students enrolled in GED or HSE programs often need additional assistance outside the classroom to gain the skills and confidence needed to pass required exams; therefore, the support team offers one-on-one or group tutoring in all subjects.
- Career Planning/Assistance - General career services available include resume and cover letter writing, applications, internships, foreign degree consultations, college transfers, and career exploration in South and North Kern locations.
- Transitional Support - All adult school students who choose to further their education at Bakersfield College will continue to receive support from AEBG support staff for their first semester at BC.